Thursday, August 25, 2011

Lazy Daisy

I have done very little that can be considered productive this week. I blame allergies and a new job. Today I decided that I had better do something or this blog will be boresville. I'm sticking with the theme of trying to use up what I have on hand. Right now I have cucumbers, which will be dealt with soon I hope, and strawberries. My friend gave me a huge container of strawberries that were left over from a party. Yesterday I brought them to another friend's house and we dipped them in chocolate ganache that I had leftover. We used up the chocolate but hardly made a dent in the berries. Today I decided to make my favorite scones to use up a few more. As a bonus, I had some left over marzipan too!

As usual, I don't have a scone recipe that I love so I made a hybrid of two that I like. I like my scones to be light, fluffy, flaky and not too sweet. This recipe pretty much met those criteria.

Strawberry Marzipan Scones
2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
6 tbsp chilled butter cut into small pieces
1/2 cup chopped strawberried
1/2 cup marzipan cut into smallish pieces
3/4 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven to 400.
Mix the first 5 ingredients together on low speed for about 3 minutes or until crumbly. Add the strawberries and marzipan and combine on low speed. Slowly add the cream and mix until combined. I like to kneed the dough a little bit here to make sure everything sticks together.
On a floured surface roll out the dough to 1/2 inch. I like to roll the dough into a vaguely circle-like shape and then cut the dough into wedges. You can also cut with a cookies cutter. You should get 10-12 scones.
Place on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

If you like a sweeter scone you could bump up the sugar level a little. I consider this recipe a work in progress but it works for now. I plan on working on a savory scone next. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment