Monday, October 3, 2011

Victim #5

Oh, the French. Who's french idea was it to make 1/4 of a potato look like a football?

Today I learned a new form of torture. It is called tourne. It is the act of turning a vegetable into a tiny football (they also come in medium and large). It caused five students to cut themselves in class today. I was number 3.

My potato on top
Chef's on the bottom
What is really funny is that last night I had a dream that I cut myself but it was so small that I questioned whether or not I had to admit that it happened. That is exactly what happened in class. I nicked myself as I was cutting and I though, "Phew! That was close!" A few minutes later I noticed a small red mark on my hand. I assumed it was pen since I had just been taking notes with a red pen. When I smudged it off and it returned I had to admit the truth. My time had come. The second day of practicing knife skills.

Also, I am not so good at this particular cut. Luckily no one else was either. My chef instructor looks like he is slicing through butter when he does it. I look like I am hacking through cement. I can only imagine what will happen when I have to do this to a carrot.

No comments:

Post a Comment