Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Where am I?


 What have I been doing lately? Making cakes of course! Last week in class we made 3 cakes and they were all pretty tasty. First we made a yellow chiffon cake. It was light and fluffy and we filled and covered it with whipped cream. It was basically a cake to practice on. We practiced cutting it into thirds, doing a crumb coat and then mixing pretty colors to decorate it with.

The next cake we made was serious. It was a chocolate butter sponge cake with a layer of chocolate mousse, a layer of raspberry bavarian cream and covered in Italian buttercream. It was a practical exam so we had a lot of requirements. It had to be pastel, have a shell border, have three roses and six leaves, say happy birthday in chocolate, have even layers of all the fillings and have no more than a 1/4 layer of buttercream over the cake. I managed all of these things and got an A.

The last cake we made was an angel food cake. I like angel food cake because it is easy to make and once it is done you don't really have to do anything else with it, unless you want to. We got together with friends over the weekend and I brought the angel food cake along with some whipped cream and strawberries. The strawberries did not get eaten. Instead we put bacon, whipped cream and maple syrup on the angel food cake and found heaven. It may sound like a train wreck on a plate to you but I assure you that it was fantastic.

Over the weekend I made cupcakes for my adorable godson's first birthday and a little cake for him to smash. The smash cake looked like a barn. He actually tried to pick it up and throw it. So cute!

I had another stage yesterday. This one was in a restaurant. Quite a different experience than the bakeshop I staged in last month. But I loved it! I'm kind of leaning towards working in a restaurant now. I like the fast pace. I'm going to do a little more staging around before I make any final decisions. I have another stage on Saturday and I am hoping that the nerves start wearing off soon. Eventually I should be able to walking into a kitchen and get to work without butterflies in my stomach right?

No comments:

Post a Comment