Thursday, May 24, 2012

And then there was 1

Last class! I cannot believe how fast this program has gone. It has been such a whirlwind but I feel like I have learned a lot. My skillset has completely changed. What I thought I would hate I ended up loving and vice versa (well, I don't think I hated anything). Wait, no more reminiscing. I can't do that until after this class.

I finished my last class strong. I actually got 100% on every practical exam in that class. Our last project was making a chocolate sculpture. This took about a week since we had demo days mixed in. I tempered a lot of chocolate, broke many delicate pieces and ended up with this swan.

For this piece we had to make a back piece out of dark chocolate, we had to make overlay pieces out of white chocolate (the wings on mine and the leaves), we had to make at least one flower, do some type of white chocolate filigree and make a base.

The wings were the trickiest part for me. I must have made about 20 and came away with 2 usable pieces. Luckily I didn't break them and my swan came away with 2 wings. I loved the flowers. They kind of looked like water lilies. The base was made of white chocolate, dark chocolate and cocoa butter. I dyed my cocoa butter so my base would look a bit more like water.


All in all I was happy with my sculpture. We made the back piece on a humid day so I did get some bloom on my dark chocolate so if I could go back in time I would redo it and try to get zero bloom. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of need for chocolate sculptures in the industry so I probably won't have the opportunity to try again. That is the only downside to such a fast program. I like to do things over and over until I get really good at whatever skill I am working on. I don't usually have the opportunity to do that though unless I practice at home. I guess I will have to make myself a chocolate sculpture at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment